Animal Welfare Organizations Recognized by Petco Foundation and Jackson Galaxy Foundation for Innovative Ideas to Save Animal Lives
Innovation Showdown Awards $190,000 to Help Launch Lifesaving Ideas
Animal Welfare Organizations Recognized by Petco Foundation and Jackson Galaxy Foundation
San Antonio, Texas (August 14, 2017) – The Petco Foundation and Jackson Galaxy Foundation have teamed up to reward lifesaving innovation. As a result, the Petco Foundation is awarding $190,000 to help launch 10 lifesaving ideas that were submitted in the first-ever Innovation Showdown. The Innovation Showdown aspires to encourage ideas that will change the landscape of animal welfare.
“Success in any business requires a willingness to challenge the status quo, and in the business of saving animal lives, innovation is critical,” said Petco Foundation Executive Director Susanne Kogut. “We are thrilled to partner together with the Jackson Galaxy Foundation to be the catalyst for change and to reward organizations for their lifesaving innovation.”
From the nearly 200 idea submissions, two winners and eight runner-ups were selected by the Petco Foundation and the Jackson Galaxy Foundation to receive investments. The Animal Care Centers of NYC digital shelter concept ($100,000) and Brandywine Valley SPCA “Mama in a Box” kitten feeding solution ($50,000) took home the top two honors. Additional animal welfare organizations across the U.S. are currently receiving seed money ($5,000 each) to implement their ideas in their communities, including:
- Animal Advocates of South Carolina – To continue a life-changing program, where inmates of a correctional facility help turn at-risk cats and dogs into adoptable pets, making it a win/win.
- Jacksonville Humane Society – Create a kitten private investigative team to help control the feral cat population.
- Dallas Pets Alive – Recycle an old shipping container into a trendy pet adoption center that is positive and budget-friendly so it can be replicated in the future.
- Golden Paw Society – Create a volunteer army using the National Honor Society model and tap into the millions of college students wanting to help animals.
- Spay & Neuter Kansas City – Fund a universal microchip scanner that prints labels to greatly increase the chance of reuniting lost pets with their guardians.
- Greenville County Animal Care – Train animal welfare associates on a regional and national level via educational videos that document existing staff and volunteer super stars.
- For All Animals – Create a turnkey PR software system for all shelters to raise their profiles, increase foot traffic, as well as get social media and adoption systems up to par.
- Pima Animal Care Center – Expand pilot program of pairing up shelter kittens with dementia and Alzheimer’s patients that has helped to restore lost memories.
“The Innovation Showdown is a great way for us to support and foster big, positive change for animals,” said Jackson Galaxy, cat expert, author, entrepreneur, founder of the Jackson Galaxy Foundation, and host of “My Cat from Hell.” “Together, we can make a meaningful impact, which is why we encourage others to join us and support these amazing animal welfare organizations by investing in their lifesaving efforts.
The Petco Foundation and the Jackson Galaxy Foundation plan to continue the Innovation Showdown as an annual opportunity. Since 1999, the Petco Foundation has invested more than $185 million in lifesaving animal welfare work in communities across the country.
For more information about the Petco Foundation, visit or petcolove.org. More information about the Jackson Galaxy Foundation is at www.jacksongalaxyfoundation.org. Join the conversation on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram using the hashtag #InnovationShowdown.
About the Petco Foundation
At the Petco Foundation, we believe that every animal deserves to live its best life. Since 1999, we’ve invested more than $185 million in lifesaving animal welfare work to make that happen. With our more than 4,000 animal welfare partners, we inspire and empower communities to make a difference by investing in adoption and medical care programs, spay and neuter services, pet cancer research, service and therapy animals, and numerous other lifesaving initiatives. Through our Think Adoption First program, we partner with Petco stores and animal welfare organizations across the country to increase pet adoptions. So far, we’ve helped more than 5.3 million pets find their new loving families, and we’re just getting started. Visit petcofoundation.org to learn more about how you can get involved.
About the Jackson Galaxy Foundation
The Jackson Galaxy Foundation, a 501(c)3 tax exempt charity, believes that the best dreams are big, that no animal should die waiting for a home, and that together, we can make this dream a reality. Founded by Animal Planet’s My Cat from Hell star Jackson Galaxy, our mission is to improve the lives of animals at risk by transforming the places they live and helping the people who care for them. You can learn more about us at www.jacksongalaxyfoundation.org
# # #